Taco Tuesday! Simple meals! Everybody is looking for something easy to cook. We do tacos too but often in different ways. And I have to admit sometimes I get fancy. However taco meat was an easy option to provide my two who wanted something different for lunch — they could make a container of this at the beginning of the week and take it along with fixings to have a taco lunch at school. My thoughts are, when they are on their own, a bowl of this in the fridge could stave off hunger for lunches or those last minute dinners that you are behind on making.
Instead of a typical taco seasoning packet with many additional ingredients we don’t need in our body, my children and I have talked about how a few ingredients can make the difference. So we have made a pact to keep a few inexpensive ground spices, cumin included, in the cabinet to add that “just right” spice to this and other similar dishes instead of buying it in a package.
10 – 12 inch frying pan
Cooking spatula or large spoon
- 1 medium onion
- In small bowl, put together:
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup mild salsa
- ¼ cup water
- Chop onion (smaller pieces are better).
- Heat frying pan over medium high.
- Add oil to pan when hot
- Cook onions 3-5 minutes in frying pan.
- Add spices and stir 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey to pan. Cook, breaking apart, until no longer pink.
- Add salsa and water to pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Serve.
Dad HH’s Creation
pdf version of recipe >> Taco Meat Filling