As the Kid Cooks have focused on learning to make many more complicated dishes, we have realized they need more instruction in simple things too. Though they have been making cornbread for a while, rice seemed like something that was appropriate and needed for our cookbook. This method is easy and mirrors what we do with pasta so it feels comfortable to them.
Rice (Long Grain White or Brown)
- ¼ cup rice (long grain white or brown) for each person or serving you want to make
Large pasta pot
Strainer (with very small holes or mesh)
- Fill pot with water (like making pasta)
- Bring pot of water to full boil.
- To boiling water add
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- Boil rice uncovered; stir once in a while — Boil white 15 minutes or brown 30 minutes.
- When done, turn off stove and drain rice until no water runs out (a drip here and there is okay).
- Place rice back in pot; place lid on top and let sit off heat for 10 minutes. (do not add liquid to pot)
Fluff with fork and serve.
pdf version of recipe >> Rice (white or brown)