The Kid Cooks love meatloaf. But if you have made it yourself, you know there is some pre-planning involved because of the time it needs to cook in the oven. Also I get nervous teaching my cooks with special needs about making sure it is completely done on the inside. So we decided to go the mini meatloaf route for three reasons:
- They cook more quickly
- They cook more evenly
- Portion control is part of the recipe
Adapting our own meatloaf recipe and researching other mini meatloaf recipes online, here is what we came up with. Enjoy!
Mini Meatloaves Makes 6 servings
Muffin tin(s) – 12 cups
Large mixing bowl
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ of a medium onion
- ground beef (85%) or ground turkey, 1 – 1 ½ (1 – 1.5) pound package
- In a small bowl, place
- Two ⅓ cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In another small bowl, mix together
- 1 cracked egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Lightly spray cups of muffin tin
- Chop garlic cloves finely or use garlic press.
- Chop onion.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In large mixing bowl, break up the meat (use fork or hands).
- Sprinkle over the meat:
- Breadcrumb mixture
- Pour egg mix over meat mix; use hands to mix completely.
- Use ⅓ measuring cup to scoop meat into each muffin cup. (If any left, spread evenly to all of the muffin cups.)
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon ketchup over each muffin cup of meat.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until done (no longer pink inside).
- Remove from oven; Turn oven off.
- Let rest in muffin tin for 5 minutes. Serve 2 meatloaves each.
pdf version of recipe >> Mini Meatloaves