With our southern family roots, grits are a part of our breakfast routine. Like cream of wheat and oatmeal, they are a good hearty breakfast option that warms us up in cooler months yet are more savory than many other breakfast items (like pancakes or even oatmeal). The Kid Cooks often add an egg to it as well to round out the meal.
For this recipe to work, you must purchase quick grits. The regular grits take MUCH longer to cook. This is not instant grits that are already stripped of many things and have other products/flavors added to them.
Makes 1 serving
- In small bowl, place:
- ½ of 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons shredded cheese
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir completely:
- ¼ cup quick grits
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- Cover grits with plastic wrap or microwave food cover.
- Microwave for 2 minutes*
- Remove carefully and stir completely (scrape the bottom good)
- Recover and microwave for another 1 minute, 40 second (1:40)
- Remove carefully – THE BOWL WILL BE HOT!
- Stir in butter and cheese, until melted.
*Our microwave is only a small 700 watt machine. More powerful microwaves may require less time.
pdf version of recipe >> Cheese Grits – microwave