Years ago I learned about a method for poaching chicken that has come in handy, much like making boiled eggs. As I thought about other easy ways for the Kid Cooks to make main dishes, I worried about insuring chicken baked in the oven was cooked, not overdone, and not dried out. When I cannot spell out specific times for something, they are less successful. So this easy method of making fresh chopped poached chicken in BBQ sauce was born. The only struggle for my oldest was finding patience to wait for the chicken to cook. : )
Makes 3 Servings
Cutting board and knife
Large pot with lid, 3 to 4 quart size
Large mixing bowl
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 pound
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- ⅓ cup bottled Barbecue sauce
- 1 Tablespoon bottled mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
- Place in pot
- Chicken pieces
- 8 cups of cold faucet water
- Fill mixing bowl half full with cold water from faucet.
- Place chicken pot on stove; bring to boil
- Once boiling –> lower to medium, cook 8 minutes uncovered.
- Turn stove off; put cover on pot.
- Remove pot from heat; leave chicken in hot water 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from cooking water and put in large bowl of water.
- Leave chicken until cool enough to handle.
- On cutting board, chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- Pour out water from large bowl.
- Place in empty large bowl:
- BBQ sauce
- Mix well and serve on buns.
Dad HH’s Creation
pdf version of recipe >> BBQ Chicken Sandwiches