Everybody has their limits. Many cooks prefer simple short recipes that are done in 10 to 30 minutes. However, this past summer when I challenged the Kid Cooks to create a dinner, my daughter wanted to do a lasagna. And so, after some research, this recipe was adapted and since has been done several times. We also chose to go the “meatless” way to reduce the amount of prep so we didn’t have to cook meat, onions, etcetera to go into the dish. But, be warned, it isn’t as short a dish to prep as many of the others I have posted. But it is worth the time and effort. And you can do it.
Makes 6 – 8 servings
9 inch x 13 inch baking pan
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles (8 ounces)
- 16 -20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- 1 egg
- Ricotta cheese (one 15-16 ounce container)
- In a small bowl, place
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- One 15 ounce jar Alfredo pasta sauce
- Thaw completely (can microwave on 50% power 2 minutes at a time until no more ice )
- Squeeze with hands to drain out liquid
- Throw away spinach liquid
- Chop garlic cloves finely or use garlic press.
- Split shredded cheese into two even piles
- In medium bowl, lightly beat the egg
- To the egg in medium bowl, add and completely stir together:
- Ricotta cheese
- One pile of the shredded cheese
- Lightly spray glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
- Build lasagna:
- Lay 3 cooked noodles in bottom of baking dish.
- Spread ½ cup Alfredo sauce over noodles.
- Top evenly with half of the spinach mixture.
- Lay out 3 more cooked noodles.
- Spread ½ cup Alfredo sauce.
- Top with rest of spinach mixture.
- Lay last 3 cooked noodles.
- Spread the rest of the Alfredo sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Lightly spray one side of sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray; Place spray side down and cover dish tightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly around edges.
- Remove lasagna from oven. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from BettyCrocker.com (Creamy Spinach Lasagna)
pdf version of recipe >>Creamy Spinach Lasagna