After receiving a foot of snow, the Kid Cooks and I decided it was time for a simple hearty soup to fight off the winter blues. This is easy to do with pure ingredients that many of us have in our houses. We make a larger pot for the family, but here is a smaller version for the individual living on their own or a couple of roommates. Make some Cheesy Drop Biscuits to go with it and you have a heartwarming winter meal.
Makes 3 servings
3 – 4 quart pot and cooking spoon
Knife and cutting board
Small and medium bowl
- ½ large onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 can of tomatoes (about 14 – 15 ounces)
- Lean (93%) ground turkey (or beef), about ½ (0.5) pound
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoons tomato paste
- In a small bowl, place
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- In one small bowl: place chopped onion and celery
- In another medium bowl, put:
- Peeled and chopped carrots
- Scrubbed and chopped potatoes
- Heat pot over medium high. When hot, add oil to pot.
- To pot add:
- Onions and celery
- Cook for 5 – 8 minutes until meat looks done.
- Stir everything else into pot (spices, carrots and potatoes, broth, water, tomatoes, paste)
- Bring to boil on medium high.
- Lower to medium low
- Cook 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Turn stove off. Serve.
pdf version of recipe >>Turkey Burger Soup