We have worked on this cake for a while. Actually, the cake has been fine; it is a recipe we have eaten for years. The frosting was the struggle – to find a way to make simple frosting with everyday materials and the correct directions for an inclusive recipe. Now the Kid Cooks and I have it and are ready to share. Enjoy this simple cake with a delicious pour over frosting.
Chocolate to the rescue, just in time for Valentine’s Day or anytime!
Frosted Chocolate Cake Makes 9 servings
8 inch square pan
Whisk and Rubber spatula
Large mixing bowl
Medium microwave safe bowl
- In large mixing bowl, place:
- 1 + ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a medium bowl, place:
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon plain vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- For frosting: In a microwave safe bowl, place:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk mixture in large mixing bowl.
- Add oil and water mixture to large mixing bowl.
- Whisk until completely mixed.
- Pour into baking pan and smooth top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until tests done.
- Remove, turn oven off, and let cake cool for 1 hour.
- Microwave frosting mix covered on power 5 (50%), 1 minute at a time until completely melted. Mix each time until smooth.
- Spread on top of cake in pan. Let cool.
- Cut cake in pan and serve.
pdf version of recipe >> Frosted Chocolate Cake