We have been eating cowboy beans for years so it only made sense to make a version for the Kid Cooks. The original version has a couple more ingredients in it, including beer, but the key is that these are less sugary than baked beans, creating a slightly sweet baked bean dish with a little kick of spice from chili powder. This is a fave at our house.
Baked Cowboy Beans Makes about 4 servings
8 inch square pan
1 medium mixing bowl and cooking spoon
Strainer or colander
Knife and cutting board
- 2 cans of pinto beans – about 15 ounces each
- ½ of an onion
- ½ of a colored pepper (any color)
- Cooked ham (if you have)
- In medium mixing bowl, place:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- Add to mixing bowl:
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Stir mix in bowl completely
- Open, rinse, and drain beans in strainer
- Chop onion and pepper
- Chop ham for ½ cup
- Add beans, onion, peppers, and ham to bowl and mix completely
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour mix into square pan.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir. Place back in oven.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove pan. Turn off oven. Serve.
pdf version of recipe >> Cowboy Beans