Looking for a different recipe that makes an easy, flavorful side dish? This gives the rice some basic seasoning and allows the Kid Cooks to place it in the oven to cook while they complete another part of the meal. The rice plays well with many things, mini meatloaf or even tacos, for example.
1.24.21 This recipe was updated for easier timing and method so the kids could cook this and other things in oven for a full meal.
Seasoned Rice Makes 3 servings
2 – 2 ½ quart pan with lid and oven safe handleCutting board and knife
For measuring recipe parts: 1 small bowl
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ of an onion
- In small bowl, put
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Chop onion
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put pan on stove over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, add butter.
- When butter is melted, add onion; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add seasoning and stir.
- Add to pan:
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Place lid on.
- Put in oven and bake for 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven. USE OVEN MITT! Pan Handle is HOT!
- Turn oven off.
- Leave lid on; let sit for 10 minutes.
- Open lid; stir with fork; Serve.
Dad HH’s Creation
pdf version of recipe >> Seasoned Rice (updated)