I’ve said before, the recipes are driven largely by what the Kids Cooks want to make. After discussion, they decided they wanted comfort food — like pot pie! I also had ulterior motives to help them learn how to create with a rotisserie chicken. Pre-cooked, rotisserie chickens are readily available at the store and a great way to shorten steps for them, create a great meal, and have chicken left for another recipe or lunch as a sandwich during the week. Here’s our adapted recipe for Chicken Tater-Tot Pot Pie! We like it. Enjoy!
Chicken Tater-Tot Pot Pie Makes 4 servings
8 inch square baking dish
Non-stick cooking spray
Large mixing bowl
Medium microwave-safe bowl
Strainer or sieve
- 2 cups packed rotisserie chicken meat (no skin or bones)
- a 12 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables (if from larger bag: 2 + ⅔ cups)
- a 12 ounce jar of gravy (chicken or turkey flavor)
- enough frozen tater tots for topping (need about half of a 32 ounce bag)
- In a small bowl put
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetables — In medium bowl:
- Place frozen vegetables + 2 tablespoons water.
- Microwave for 5-8 minutes until vegetables are defrosted.
- Scoop vegetables into strainer; sit on bowl to drain liquid.
- Chicken — Chop or shred chicken into bite size pieces + Place into mixing bowl.
- To chicken in mixing bowl, add and stir to combine:
- Jar of gravy
- Sprinkle seasonings over the bowl
- Add drained vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray the baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add the chicken vegetable gravy mixture to dish; level out the top of the filling.
- Across the top, place tots close together in one layer.
- Place pie in the oven; bake for 35 – 40 minutes until tots test done and filling is bubbly.
- Remove dish from oven. Turn oven off.
- Let the pot pie rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Epicurious and other sources.
pdf version of recipe>> Chicken Tater-Tot Pot Pie