The Kids Cooks have asked for years to make bread. But I have held fast to my philosophy that I just don’t see them dabbling in yeast. This is why we developed a pizza recipe with a crust that didn’t require yeast. Even with bread, I am still interested in them eating healthy and fresh but I feel a simple quick recipe is essential.
I have personally made this recipe for years and our family loves it. I finally adapted it for the Kids Cooks so they too can make it and have good tasting bread they can use for PB & Js or breakfast toast. It is also great with an egg on top. Hey, who doesn’t love homemade bread?!
Buttermilk Quick Bread Makes one loaf
(Great for sandwiches likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or breakfast toast.)
Loaf pan (8 ¼ inch long or 9 inch long will work)
1 large mixing bowl
Whisk and rubber spatula
|For measuring recipe parts: 5 small bowls|
- 1 cup white flour (all purpose flour)
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour ß if no whole wheat, use 2 more cups white
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Place in mixing bowl and whisk together:
- Both flours
- Baking soda
- Add buttermilk to flour mix and gently stir with rubber spatula until mixed (no dry mix left).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spray baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Spread our top of batter in pan with spatula.
- Place pan in center of oven; bake 50 minutes or until tests done.
- Remove pan and turn off oven.
- Turn bread out onto cooling rack; let cool completely before serving.
Adapted from Bob Red Mills
pdf version of recipe>> Buttermilk Quick Bread