COVID-19 quarantine has meant that we have been cooking and eating LOTS of meals at home. And so, when asked “Hey, what are you having for lunch this week?” the Kids Cooks have been challenged to come up with ideas to bring in some variety into an otherwise routine and boring existence. From staying at home, comes this recipe — an easy, complete meal in a pasta salad. Just add a side of fruit.
Ham and Pea Pasta Salad Makes 4-5 servings
Large pasta pot and Strainer
Mixing bowl and Whisk and Cooking Spoon
- 8 ounces your choice pasta (about ½ box = ½ pound) — just not “spaghetti” like
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cooked ham (can be bought ham steak, deli ham, or anything like this)
- Bell pepper (any color)
- 4 ounces block cheese (like cheddar, swiss, or Colby jack)
- In a small bowl, place
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- In mixing bowl, place dressing ingredients:
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 Tablespoons (3 ounces) buttermilk or milk
- 2 Tablespoons pickle relish
- Add seasonings to dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add to dressing:
- Sliced celery (½ cup).
- Chopped pepper (½ cup).
- Ham chopped into small pieces (1 – 1½ cup).
- Cheese, cut into small pieces.
- Cook pasta using box directions. In the last 2 minutes, add the peas.
- When done, turn off stove; drain pasta and peas.
- Rinse with cold water from faucet; let drain.
- Add to dressing and stir salad.
- Cover and place in fridge for an hour or more before serving.
Adapted from a couple recipes on bettycrocker.com
pdf version of this recipe >> Ham and Pea Pasta Salad